Saturday, 9 February 2013

Fruit Flies

I'm sometimes guilty of not making it out to the compost pit before the bucket is overfull. I'm also guilty of overwatering my houseplants (to make up for those times when they are neglected for far too long. Hmmmm. I'm sensing a pattern here!) At any rate, it's February and we have fruit flies. This is normally a problem in the fall when it is hot and I'm bringing in vegetables from the garden. I have a theory that they came in with some bananas a month ago and decided to stay, but whatever the cause, here is what I plan to do:


Ironic that the bananas I believe cause the flies are in the background
If you punch small holes in the lid of a jar and put cider vinegar (I use rice vinegar because I happen to have some) in the jar, the flies should be drawn to the scent and drown when they can't get back out of the jar. It usually works and at least makes me feel like I'm doing something about the pesky flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment