Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Blackened Salmon

Who doesn't totally love a meal that can be ready in under 20 minutes? Or the chance to singe hell out of supper, on purpose?

This recipe came to me by way of an aunt, via a cousin, years ago. Rather than pay a ridiculous amount for ready-made seasonings, I mix up a batch and keep it in my spice cupboard. Since I already have the spices for cooking, I consider it a frugal recipe (depending on the cost of the chicken or salmon). It is a special treat in our house and is wonderful on salmon or chicken, BBQ'd or broiled in the oven. Here 'tis:

BLACKENED SEASONING

1Tbsp salt (scant)
1Tbsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion salt *
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne

*note: since this is already a salty mixture, and because I don't have any onion salt, I omit the onion salt and have never missed it. This mixture will last us several meals.

Yes, those are no name spice bags in the background. I plan to grow
all my own  herbs next year. What can I say? We are a work in progress!

Sprinkle liberally over salmon or chicken, broil 7 minutes per side (or until thoroughly cooked. Cooking times vary depending on portion size). Voila! A nice spicy dish, served over salad for lunch or paired with salad, steamed veggies and rice, quinoa, or pasta and ready in 20 minutes for supper. The best part is you will look like a superstar or, as my 3 year old puts it, "the best cooker ever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment