Monday, 11 March 2013

Cold Frame, Anyone?

I have never grown vegetables in a cold frame. Don't own one. But I'm gonna.

I heard recently on the news that the pre-washed salads you can buy in the bag were tested and found to contain parasites found in human and animal feces.

GULP. I don't normally buy the bags of salad, finding that they spoil quickly and I need my lettuce to last a week til next grocery day (I mean until we eat it, but next grocery day is a week away so it can't spoil overnight before we eat it all!). But the thought of it confirmed my plans to build and experiment with a cold frame this fall/winter/spring. Now maybe I should read that book I bought myself! 

With two small children I haven't ventured into all-season gardening...yet. I'm hoping that once we are on the acreage, with gramma close-by, we might experiment with a cold frame on a raised bed in order to provide us with greens year-round. After hearing what is on the so-called pre-washed salad mixes, I do think it is worth a try. Now then, off to read The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener by Niki Jabbour!

No comments:

Post a Comment