Saturday, 24 October 2015

So We Got a Barn!

Today we had a very special delivery: the barn we ordered awhile ago arrived and I LOVE it!


This plan has been in the works for a couple months--initially we hadn't planned on a barn for another year or two but suddenly we were pricing out our options and the next thing I knew we ordered it! 


The cost of the pre-built, delivered barn was not much more than the cost of the materials had we opted to buy a package and build it ourselves. Husband and I don't have much building experience so we missed out on a chance to learn a great deal. But building it ourselves would mean he would have to take unpaid time off work. Whatever we saved on the cost of having it built would have been lost. So we ordered it from the same Hutterite colony that built our shed, and I couldn't be happier :)

My mom and dad came and helped us frame up the footing and two of my brothers were here when the concrete was poured. It feels good to know that help is nearby when we need it. We have a few more things to do to get it ready for our four sheep to spend the winter in, and there are still a few jobs left in the yard. It was a beautiful day today and I do so love looking at my little red barn out my kitchen window. I know that having the barn (although it wasn't imperative that we get one this year) is another step towards the lifestyle I want for my kids. I'd like them to grow up with some chores, some animals to tend to, some responsibility. In the meantime I feel a great enthusiasm to start making a bit of money to help pay for it. More on those plans soon! 

Did you do anything exciting this weekend?

8 comments:

  1. How exciting...and wonderful colors! I did something similar, but mine was built on site. I ordered mine through my local Home Depot. Building it on site, saved me the money of taking down a fence. As you already know, sometimes it is less expensive to order "finished". Especially if you must take off work to build it yourself. So....congratulations on your new barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meggie! We are excited...it looks so "pretty" back in the trees. This morning everything is covered in frost and the bright red stands out so nicely. More than that, it represents the direction we are taking and our commitment to this patch of land. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Meggie! The barn is so pretty - gorgeous really! Major congrats! It is always nice to move one step ahead on our life plans and this barn clearly factors into yours. Take lots of nice pics with family in front of the barn before winter comes and starts to do his magic (aka damage!). ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pru, the barn will be gorgeous in pictures :) I think I'll have my friend who lives nearby come over and take family pictures on a nice hoar frosty day this winter. It will look great in all four seasons :)

      Delete
  3. Looks great. I know all too well how the "math" works out sometimes.... taking time off work to build something like that doesn't always pay (especially if you can buy a good quality option). Excellent to have it put up before the first snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rush is on to have everything ready before the weather turns nasty (she says as the wind howls through the yard!). We are so happy we went ahead and got the barn...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. brilliant!!! i had no idea you could get pre-built barns!! it's utterly gorgeous and i'm so excited for you and this next step......*squeee* <-- because i truly understand the farm-nerd excitement of having a barn. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete