Friday, 3 May 2013

Friday Favourite: Mortar and Pestle

I think it is a touch silly of me to love my mortar and pestle as much as I do. It was one of those kitchen luxuries that I could never justify. When Husband "surprised" me with one for Christmas (I believe he texted me to spell it for him, so he could ask the clerk at Stokes) he watched and watched and finally commented that I'd never used it.


And he was right; I hadn't used it and, in fact, it's not something I use often. But when I use it I appreciate it so much because there is really no utensil that can do the job as well (I suppose I could use my wee coffee grinder to smash a batch of spices for Blackened Salmon, but where is the quiet pleasure in that?).

I love my mortar and pestle (I just looked it up, the pestle is the stick or handle, and the mortar is the bowl). One thing I read is that you can grind white rice with it and wipe with dry paper towel if you need to clean it well between uses. I use mine primarily for spices so have only wiped it with a damp cloth.



I love the mortar and pestle because it is an ancient utensil that can be used in science, medicine, art, cooking and probably many other places. It really hasn't been improved upon and you might find one that is generations old that would be just as functional today as ever. I kinda like that history in an object, and that it is useful and makes my cooking better and more interesting doesn't hurt. Maybe it isn't silly to love my mortar and pestle. I am just extremely pleased to have one and I use every chance I get! Do you have a favorite but seldom-used item in your home or garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment