Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Epilogue

The third trailer load is almost complete. The weather has been fantastic and we hope to see a big change in the snow situation when we drop off another load of rocks this afternoon. We have papers to sign at the lawyer's, a lot of cleaning has been done, mailbox closed, address is changed....it's time to go.


This was our first load--we have too much stuff!
I just couldn't leave the hen and chicks my friends gave me. I also took a piece of barren strawberry...not because I think it is beautiful or irreplaceable, but because it was kind of sad to buy it at the time. The first year in this house was lean and I got it for a dollar at the end of summer because I could afford it and it would fill some space and hopefully spread. It did spread, and every year it has reminded me how far we've come from those days of insecurity. We have a great mortgage on the new house, we have paid off most of our debt, we have a lifestyle that we can sustain. Some of the credit goes to things like barren strawberry plants--when I wanted dahlias and gladiolas I bought a dollar off cast and saved my money. And now I'm getting my wish house and it might not have dahlias for a year or two yet. But someday it will.




I've written about our rocks but didn't have the memory card to download the pictures I wanted. At any rate, I snapped a few last night and there will be more, much more, on stone work as we get to work in our yard. For now we are trying not to hurt ourselves loading them!





I woke at 5am today--not worried, not able to get back to sleep though. Maybe I wanted to have some quiet time here while I still can. The kids are going to sleep over at Gram's farm tonight and we will come back for the last load and to do more cleaning. I think we will sleep in the camper, which also needs hauled away. We are getting a seasonal site near where Husband will be working. A great little escape for us when we need one this summer!

Yesterday we realized it would be our kids' last night in this house, so we planned a fun movie night for 3 year old with popcorn and staying up late. It was a no-go, however. The bustling activity of packing and moving, plus some play dates and the transition to no longer napping had our helper tuckered out. That is "positive blog talk" for tired and grouchy, or as Husband would say, "crooked". So we didn't commemorate our last night here as a family. We had an argumentative supper trying to get the kids to eat, I may or may not have lamented that I put on 40 pounds for this #$%!?, and we put them both to bed at 6:15 pm. As tears filled my eyes at the kitchen sink it occurred to me: there have been many days like this in this house, many, and there will be many more like it in the new house and in between. That's kids. That's family. That's moving with a 3 and 1 year old. And yet when I look back I only remember laughter and babies crawling to lay their little heads on my lap. And being proposed to in the dining room. And showing Husband a positive pregnancy test in the bedroom. And bringing home two babies from the hospital, and Christmas mornings and new year's nights. I can only hope that, in our new home, the chaos and turmoil will be as easily forgotten and the memories just as sweet. I'm pretty sure they will.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment