Tuesday, 11 August 2015

BBQ Pizza Crust

We are enjoying some summer heat this week, although I know it can't last. We are silaging at the farm (the beginning of the end of summer every year). This morning I heard Canada geese flying over my yard. The days are noticeably shorter and from here on out we will savour each day of summer as though it is the last.

In the interest of not heating up the house this week, I opted to try my New York Style thin crust pizza on the BBQ. The crust recipe is from my America's Test Kitchen cookbook and we love it. The dough is made with cold water and stored in the fridge up to 3 days. While I am reducing our grocery spending I plan to keep the dough on hand for quick affordable meals. Once it became so hot I dreaded to use the oven, so I finally made pizza on my BBQ :)

Once the dough had come to room temperature on my counter, I heated my pizza stone in the BBQ. Of course the wind picked up and it was hard to keep the grill as hot as I liked but I lit the searing burner and rotated the crust to try for more even cooking. 


I spread the crust on lightly oiled parchment paper and transferred it to the baking stone. 

So good already! I also plan to use this recipe and method for homemade naan bread!

Once the bottom of the crust was crispy I flipped it and added our toppings. We had one with tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella and the other with Greek and feta dressing topped with mozzarella and Asiago. I would add less cheese next time, as it can easily be a bit soggy in the middle. The kids loved their pizza on the BBQ, however, and J said it was the best pizza he ever had :)

There was dough left over so I cooked it lightly on both sides and froze it for another day. This should help us avoid those impulsive trips through the drive thru on our way home from town and will likely become a part of my weekly meal plan.



Delicious!!

2 comments:

  1. It really looks delicious and rather easy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy and tasty, and cooks in just a few minutes :)

    ReplyDelete