Saturday, 24 January 2015

Some Blogging Goals and Thoughts for 2015

I feel more able to accomplish tasks than I have felt in a long time. Perhaps because my kids are more independent, but also because I am living an authentic life. I have an idea of how I want to raise my kids, some clear goals for the coming year, and a renewed energy to get us there (it does not hurt that I've recently began taking magnesium for sleep and vitamin d through our drab weather!). Every day that we have together is a gift, and I want to make the most of my time and live intentionally. Nothing is more disheartening than a day spent in mindless boredom. I want my kids to wake up each morning with a sense of purpose and some jobs to do...with that in mind, some goals for the upcoming year on our wee acreage:

1. Make the most of our time

At first glance, this does not seem like a huge goal. I am fairly efficient and we have a good routine at home that keeps us busy and productive. But there is a difference between working hard and working smart. I am spending too much time in the kitchen (ask my weigh scale!). I bake all of our bread now, and am finding that two days of the week are being spent on baking. This works for me in the winter when I am less inclined to be outside, but I want to make it a sustainable part of my routine once spring arrives and I am spending 6-8 hours/day outside. I want to tinker with a more structured routine where I bake and freeze 2 loaves of bread, plus another 2 loaves for that week's breakfasts, plus any other baking I have planned. This should free up that second day for outside work or, for the remainder of the winter, housecleaning one room/week. I also want to downsize some of the closet-clutter I have hoarded over the years, which leads me to...

2. Let Go of Unnecessary Clutter

We were quite ruthless when we moved and did get rid of a lot of possessions that we didn't want or use. That said, there was still a full truck load of things left in my brother's shop once our garage and basement were finished--things that we had not needed in a year and things that I resented having to find space for. Much of it went in a garage sale, none of it sold, all of it went immediately to the thrift store that supports our local women's shelter. It was great to not even unload that stuff in our new house. However, I realize lately that there is more to sort and donate. There is a garbage bag of my old clothes that I have kept, in spite of not wearing fitting any of it in years.

Does any of this sound familiar? Yet another blogger committing to de-clutter and lose weight in the new year? Perhaps it is redundant and it has surely been said better on different sites, but my focus this year is on our well-being and sharing our joy...part of that process is letting go of things that don't fit...whether it is clothes and weight that I have been packing around for years, or the old friendships that have not been working either. We are happy and settled in our new home and we are at a point where if something continues to drag us backward, we must gently and with love just let it go. I want my experiences to uplift my family and those that we deal with. When interactions have taken on a toxic flavour, when superiority and negativity have tainted the relationship, and when it seems that no amount of forgiving and trying again can bring it back, perhaps it is time to move on without bitterness and without regret. With much love and much hope for the future, I will be letting go this year of things that no longer work in our lives.

3. Find New Avenues of Income For Myself

As much as I am able, I hope to sell some of the items that we no longer need. I want to schedule myself a few hours/week where I post and tend to selling online a few worthy possessions, like a double stroller and some like-new things that the kids have outgrown. Likewise, I want to set aside some time for myself to either work or create, with the hope of generating a bit of income to boost my morale and teach my kids about small business. Some ideas I have so far are: sell some baking, create more crafts for next year's Christmas Craft Sale, designate a larger garden area to sell produce and preserves. We are in serious discussions regarding getting chickens for meat this year. It will really depend on if we can get a suitable shelter built in time, and whether or not I "chicken out" at the last minute! I also want to spend more time on my blog and see if there are any opportunities to write more in my future. The thought of a two day/week return to actual paid employment also resurfaces from time to time. A lot of what transpires will also depend on the continued good health of our children, which leads me the final and very most important priority of 2015:

4. Healthy, Happy Kids

We had a rough patch near the end of 2014. We had a good hard look down a road that we never want to travel, and my heart absolutely aches for families that go through a serious illness with one of their children. In a heartbeat my world was forever changed, my one and only care will only ever be that my children are healthy and learn to cope with the difficulties that life will throw at them. Meaningful experiences, intentional living, and treasuring every moment will be the themes of our future. We are slowly returning to some of the activities we had planned last year--the first of which is swimming lessons. It is the only activity we will be paying for this winter...it is likely that I will return "J" (the now-5-year-old) to his 2 hour/week playschool group in February. Fresh air, exercise, homegrown food and plenty of sleep is what is in store for our little men. It sounds like a really good plan for the grown-ups too ;)



The focus for our family in the coming year is JOY--joy in being healthy together. GRATITUDE--being ever-grateful for each other and the opportunities that we have. We are also grateful for the people that make our lives so wonderful. We want to nurture the relationships that encourage and uplift, and lovingly let go of the ones that do not. I speak of living intentionally. By that I mean I want us to live according to our values, working everyday towards our common goals. This means no mindless spending, no mindless boredom. We want to be CONSCIOUS of where every dollar is going, conscious of what we spend our time doing, and make adjustments to keep our activities in tune with our goals. Let there be meaning in everything we do, let our lives brighten the lives of those around us, let us always find the strength to face our challenges. If I'm able, I hope to share those experiences on this blog. 

What have you got planned for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment