Wednesday, 21 January 2015

If You Buy Only ONE Cookbook...

...It should be the Complete  America's  Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2014.

No one is paying me to say that. I am a fan of the show, and I am a big, big fan of their recipes. So are my family members, the biggest critics of all.

If you are familiar with the show, you know that the Test Kitchen chooses traditional and favorite recipes and works diligently to improve the recipe results while also making the recipe easier for the home cook to use. While the recipes might end up being somewhat fussier than the "gramma" recipes that I usually use, the quality of the food makes it well worth the effort. Each recipe explains the process undertaken to achieve the best result, from fluffiest omelet to Buffalo Style Wings, with a "Why This Recipe Works" section that teaches in simple terms.

I bought my copy of the HUGE cookbook in the spring of 2014. It has virtually replaced my other cookbooks, although I will keep them for sentimental reasons (most of them came from my granny). My stir-fries, cakes, cookies and bread have gone to a whole new level. I've especially enjoyed experimenting with thin-crust pizza and my interest in bread-making just grows and grows.


We make Multigrain Bread (p 558) at least twice a week. I now bake all our own bread and my kids will no longer eat "town bread"!

 I talk about this recipe book with all my friends, and I thought I would pass word on to anyone who reads this blog. If you are looking for a cookbook with recipes from breakfast and brunch to desserts and BBQs, this one is money well spent. The Test Kitchen tests the recipes dozens, sometimes hundreds, of times to ensure that the method is of highest standards. The food that results is delicious, the cooking experience is a pleasure, and your guests and family will definitely notice the difference.


Rustic Country Bread, p 552


Our new birthday cupcake favorite: Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes p 622

Have you found any new favorite recipes lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment