Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Phew!

After a whirlwind few weeks home, Husband has returned to work. This time he took the camper and his nephew and will be about a two hour drive away. We have stayed at the campsite before--it is clean, has a playground and kids' swimming area. The boys are super-excited to go visit Daddy in the camper.

We worked hard while he was home, and we also all came down with a cold. Despite being under the weather we accomplished much of what I had hoped:


  • 3 raised garden beds built, soil amended with compost, and planted
  • all excess lumber stacked and mess from garage-build tidied 
  • topsoil leveled behind garage and small garden area tilled
  • countless hours picking rocks, twigs, glass and metal out of the topsoil so we could seed lawn. We got over half done and seeded. I still have a patch to finish. Which I dread.
  • apple tree bed built (ringed with rock)
  • planted 2 apple trees, hydrangea, hazelnut, pear and pollinator trees, flowering crabapple, raspberries, moved hedge rose
  • planted sunflowers and potatoes
  • harrowed the road to smooth out winter's ruts
  • seeded blossoming clover as cover crop on the west half of the yard to keep down weeds and add organic matter to the soil
  • new 3 compartment compost bin 
  • planted out chokecherry trees and cedar from my mom
  • watered 120 blue spruce along our road
  • flowerbed alongside the shed, planted 1 mugo pine, a peony, reed grass, phlox, burning bush, and other things from seed packets which I forget

We have finally had some warm weather and the leaves are back, our lawn is growing grass and weeds, and some of the garden is up. We spotted sunflowers, onion tops, radishes and a few potatoes. It was a real relief to see that things are going to grow (it would be my luck to have a gardening blog and a garden that doesn't grow)!

Yesterday I was able to sneak off to the greenhouse with my mom, where I bought some annuals and my tomato and pepper plants. I've never had much luck starting tomatoes, but I have a small indoor greenhouse and a heated tray so next year I would like to try. We had a bit of rain last night so I will plant the tomatoes, peppers and herbs when it is dry. Until then I think we can stay busy doing up flower pots. 

What is growing in your garden?


No comments:

Post a Comment