Saturday, 27 February 2016

Quinoa and Cilantro Patties

I realize I've been going hard posting about frugality and spending these days :) As a change of pace I thought I'd do a quick pop in with a yummy (and frugal) treat I made myself today. Last night I had quinoa and roasted vegetables with some meatballs that I had pre-made and frozen. I made about 2 cups of quinoa with the plan that I could use it in my cauliflower pizza crust tonight and some quinoa patties that I like.

QUINOA PATTIES

approz 1 cup cooked quinoa
1 egg
2 Tbsp chopped spinach (I used frozen and made sure to squeeze excess moisture from the spinach before adding)
2 Tbsp chopped onion (optional)
1 tsp cumin (optional)

Mix your ingredients together while 1 Tbsp olive oil heats in a frying pan. Form "patties" with your mixture and fry carefully once the pan is hot. You may want to use 2 flippers to ensure they don't come apart when you turn them, although mine held together well.



I made the most delicious hot pepper chutney with my excess peppers this past fall. It is spicy hot and so, so good. Husband and I love hot food, though, and it is not for the faint of heart. I chopped cilantro (another favorite of ours) and had the patties with cilantro, hot pepper chutney and some greek yogurt to temper the heat. So delish!  I tend to forget about cooking quinoa but I do enjoy eating it from time to time. Do you like quinoa? What is your favorite way to eat it?



2 comments:

  1. These look good. I'm not a real fan of quinoa. I know it is healthy so I buy it a couple of times a year and each time I'm annoyed with myself but I finish the bag. It's the seed of a grain and I find it tastes too seed-y :-) Go figure...but I might be tempted to try these. Recipe looks super easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Pru. I prefer to cook quinoa by sautéing onion/garlic then toasting the uncooked quinoa until it sizzles. I then add the correct amount of water or broth. I find that gives it more flavour. If I eat quinoa straight it has to have soya sauce! But I do like these patties, I have had them with tziki sauce but really prefer the spice of my chutney with them because of quinoa's lack of flavour. At any rate, worth a try to use up quinoa if you already have it :) also, I like that the quinoa can be made and in the fridge and throw this together the next day.

      Delete