Thursday, 10 December 2015

The Power of 10

This morning as I tidied my kitchen I thought, as I have many times before "good enough". And I almost left things and moved on to the next task on my list. But lately I'm really thinking about how much I can accomplish in 10 minutes. I can haul my day's worth of wood into my house and sweep up the trail into the basement. I can make all the beds, clean the toilets and pop in a load of laundry. I can fold a load of laundry and actually put it away. I can even write a brief blog post. 

My kitchen as I might have left it:




My kitchen as I did leave it, 5 minutes and 53 seconds later:




I did not sweep the floor or do the dishes. I merely put some clutter in its place and the effect on my mood throughout the day can not be described. Tidying up so that things look "done" or, if not done then at least "better," makes me feel happier and more efficient. Why not?

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Although I am of the mindset to do a quick nightly tidy (10-20 min tops), tonight I am skipping and going to do some reading :-)

    Btw nice kitchen! I love the contrast between the wood and the black/dark counters. AND what an amazing view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite often when I get my kids to bed (especially when my husband is away) I am too tired for much extra tidying. I either read or watch a show or work on something crafty. The two things I make sure are done is coffee prepared for my hitting the switch first thing, and wood hauled in. Because I'm home every day it's easy to let household tasks slide. But I'm finding that even 10 minutes of extra time spent makes me feel a lot better. It's worth it, but I forgive myself when it just can't be done! Thanks for your kind comment--I love my kitchen and the view is one I loved even as a child. I'm so lucky to live here!

      Delete
  2. I've been training myself to spend 10 minutes tidying up in the evening. Walking through a tidy house in the morning gets my day off to a good start. This morning there are boxes of empty canning jars and a bin of hunting clothes waiting by the kitchen door. The floor is in need of a good washing. I'll have to do better tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel better when I wake up to a tidy house/kitchen. I've learned that there is a bare minimum that can be achieved in just a few minutes....it doesn't always happen but I'm doing so much better as my kids are getting older. Clutter doesn't matter to some, and to each their own. But I'm realizing how much more positive I feel when things are in their place--it's so worth the effort! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete