Saturday, 11 July 2015

A Hot Mess

Oh, it's hot. Saskatchewan is in the grips of a heat wave, a drought, and a record breaking number of out of control forest fires. It's hot, it's smokey, and it's starting to feel a tad apocalyptic.

There's a forecast for thunderstorms tomorrow and a week of showers. I sure hope we get it. I hope it rains and rains in the north and saves beautiful La Ronge, where I left a little piece of my heart. I hope no more property is lost and more importantly that no one is hurt. 



Not just another blurry picture, that's smoke from fires over 500 kms away. 

It's been around 30C (approx 88F) and last night was so smokey I didn't open any windows to let the house cool off. We do have a cool basement to retreat to if need be, but so far everyone has been happier in their own beds. The smoke lifted somewhat this afternoon and I've got the windows open trying to catch a breeze. 

It's not all been doom and gloom of course. I took my mom and kids to an open house at a local cheesiry. We toured the facility and watched the sheep being milked. Later in August I'm going to do a cheese making workshop there and I'm excited at the prospect of someday making cheese on my own.


Lined up and ready to milk. 


I didn't manage a picture of all the girls with their heads through but I was being courteous to everyone else who wanted a look!

I am trying to finish up the weeding in my food gardens before my kids start swimming lessons next week. We are driving back and forth to a local lake 5 days in a row. I'm a homebody and 5 consecutive days of being out and about is really my limit. I want my kids to enjoy the tradition of swimming lessons at a lake and so I'm going to grin and bear it. It's all about the memories, after all :)

We had a visit from our elderly neighbour. He is 75 tomorrow and invited us to his birthday party, and brought saskatoon berries and bubblegum for the kids. I am touched by the little things he does to help us out and we make a point of checking in on him and dropping off treats now and then. If you know an elderly person that is alone, I hope you take the time to pop in for a quick visit from time to time. It's particularly important to check in if there are major storms or power outages. The difference you will make in an elderly person's life is so worth the effort and you stand to learn a lot from a person happy to share their knowledge. Wherever you are this weekend, I hope you are enjoying good health and good weather!



No comments:

Post a Comment