Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Hallelujah! A Pleasant Customer Service Experience...

I am not being paid or rewarded in any way to write this post, but I recently had a great experience dealing with a company and I felt it only right to give them some credit. Too often nowadays we see reports of faraway companies (here's lookin' at you, Broan. Ahem!) that make it intentionally difficult to contact them, they don't believe what you tell them, and it is incredibly hard to send things back or God Forbid ever get your money back for a dud purchase.

This was not the case with Kitchen Aid or, more specifically, Whirlpool. I have wanted a stand mixer forever and finally in 2014 I went searching at Boxing Day sales and got the Professional 5 Plus from Kitchen Aid (bought at the local Canadian Tire). It was on a good sale and also had a $50 mail-in rebate so it was a good time to buy. This machine really upped my bread making game--and pizza crust. It died on me a few weeks ago and it actually threw a wrench into my routine because all winter I've done my baking and laundry on Mondays and I found that I didn't have the confidence to tackle bread and buns without the mixer. But I digress.

I contacted the company online and heard back from them within a few days. I expected it to be a hassle and also thought I'd have lost the receipt by now (I recommend that everyone start a "receipts to keep" folder of some kind, if you don't have one already. I have one and, imagine that, this time I actually used it and found the receipt no problem). The machine had one year warranty and because I purchased it in December of 2014 and it died in March of 2016 it was not covered but they replaced it anyways, no questions asked. Have you ever heard of such a thing?! I am really impressed!

The customer service rep that I dealt with said as a one time only show of good faith, and to keep my business, they would replace the mixer and I would have a year's warranty on it starting on the day they shipped it. They sent me a shipping label with which to return the old machine (I did not have to send it away first). So when the new machine arrived I simply had to put the old machine and it's attachments into the new box along with my contact info, tape it up, put the shipping label on the box and drop it off at Purolator. I actually haven't dropped it off yet but the next time I'm in town I will. It was that simple.

As far as the quality of the machine goes, it's strange that the new mixer sounds so different from the old one. The old one used to squeal so loud that no one could talk or watch TV while it was being used. I couldn't hear the door bell over it. Perhaps the old one was flawed from the beginning. This new one is very quiet but doesn't seem very powerful, so I don't have high hopes that it will last any longer than the old one. The price of these types of appliances is so high but they are always on a sale where you can save $150 or more....so that makes me wonder if their value is actually the sale price and they shouldn't actually go on sale for the $100 or more less. Nothing is built to last and it saddens me that these big, heavy, expensive mixers are actually disposable. What is wrong with the world? If you are in the market for a stand mixer, read customer reviews and talk to your friends. I wish that spending $350 or more on a mixer meant you would have one for life, but I am positive this will not be the case for me. Can you recommend a good machine?

All that aside, this post was meant to compliment the experience I had dealing with their customer service and about that I really can't complain at all.




2 comments:

  1. I think that is great. But a Kitchen Aid should last for more than 15 months. It's a workhorse in the kitchen. I hope the first one you got was a dud and the current one is much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it lasts. I looked at it as an investment and was really disappointed when the first machine didn't last!

      Delete