Saturday, 16 November 2013

Beating the Winter BLAHS

No, I'm not going to start barking about the weather, the short days, the grey sky. I'm saving that for January...FEBRUARY....when I can barely put one foot in front of the other. Today I thought I would share how I pulled myself out of a funk.

After a week of letting housework slide in favour of more important, more urgent matters, it can be hard to get back on track and feel like laundry or dusting matters. To keep from dwelling on things out of my control, I decided today's mission is to make our home feel more comfortable. So I took this:


And turned it into this:


And I did it in under an hour (unless you count the time spent retrieving tools from a 20 month old helper)!

After finding the tools I needed (hammer, drill, drill bit, screw driver, anchors and screws, level and measuring tape) I just measured centre of the wall and centre of where the hooks go on the back of the shelf. I made sure those points were level and marked on the wall where to drill. After making a hole I gently pounded in the anchors and screwed into those the screws (thus ensuring the screws and shelf won't just pull out of the drywall).

I left enough screw sticking out for the shelf bracket to "grab"

 Then I repeated the process again. It took longer to find things to put on the shelves than it took to hang them!


I am glad I got motivated to cheer up one small space in our house. In the process I managed to cheer myself as well! What do you do to keep from getting down in the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment