Sunday, 8 January 2017

Sweet Sunday






We took the new camera out for a spin yesterday. By the time we had fed and bedded down the animals with extra straw (cold snap coming on) and hauled some wood, our faces were too cold so we only made it to the end of our lane before turning back. You can see how gray and dismal it can be in winter, but I do love the frost. It doesn't show up as beautifully white in these pictures although I'm sure there's some way of tinkering with them that would fix that.



My 6 year old will soon be 7 and he's been invited to a couple birthday parties of late. He was picked up by his little friend's dad and went with them to a movie a few days ago. Today he was off with a different family for laser tag and a romp at an indoor playground.

It is so very, very nice to see the little guy making friends and excited to go have an adventure without mom and little brother along. O howled to hear that he wouldn't be going, and I confess that a part of me howled to see him being driven out of the yard today. It suddenly feels too fast, this growing up thing. A couple years ago he had some health problems and wouldn't leave my side. We were lost without each other then and now what am I to do?

O needed a special day with Gramma, seeing he couldn't go to the party. Of course, it had to be without mom along too. So I happily spent the day writing, writing and writing. An entire day flew by and I didn't do housework beyond outside chores and hauling wood. I am finding more time to write, finding more time and fewer distractions. It's what I want and need. Today was bittersweet, but mostly sweet, as I had a few hours to myself and my kids had their own adventures without me.

6 comments:

  1. This is definitely bittersweet. But hold tight to the fact that your boys are becoming independent which has its own rewards. And finding the time to write is just wonderful!

    Gorgeous pics! The leftover snow/ice around me...not so much.

    Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to see how helpful and kind and independent my boys are getting. I would never want to hold them back. I'm trying really, really hard to remember these days together though! Thanks for reading Pru :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures, Jill! We've been dry here the past few days (albeit bitterly cold) and I miss the white wonderland of winter. I'm sure it won't be long before it's back!

    I'm glad you used the opportunity today to have some "me" time. I can't speak from experience, but from what I see from the moms in my life, it can be hard to eschew the to-do list and just spend some time doing what makes your heart sing instead. I'm glad you got some writing time in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, FD :) I admit, for years I've tried to catch up on housework, laundry etc before taking the time to write or pamper myself. I'm finding it easier to keep up to all my household tasks during regular daytime so when there's an opportunity I am better able to have some writing time. And you put it so aptly: it does make my heart sing!

      Delete
  3. girl-child just turned 14 and i still get pangs when she's off places with her friend and her family. ;)

    i'm so glad you got to spend the day writing....so, so, very glad for you! and well done to be so organized! i'm back to eking out an hour every day for my writing...i have to retrain the family as it's been so long since i had a regular practice :( -- but i figure they'll catch on.

    i was having a bit of a blue day yesterday, but an hour tapping away at my keyboard and i felt a WHOLE lot better. so yay to us for looking after our creative hearts!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I 'm glad you're writing. You are so talented. I have a weird process. Whenever I dedicate some time to writing (non-blog or column writing, that is) I am terrified that no words will come. Then words come, I am elated, then I am exhausted and can't bring myself to do it again for awhile, at which time I am paralyzed by fear that words won't come. They do, I am elated....

      What's wrong with me?! LOL! Is it this hard for everyone?

      Delete