So now that my attention has turned indoors (although there are several outdoor projects that await) I thought I'd show pictures of what we have been doing.
Best blueberry muffins ever. 4 year old said "mommy you are the best cooker in the world besides gramma!"
My tomatoes are small but plentiful. I love making sauces but I detest peeling them. This morning I slow roasted my ripe tomatoes while I made buns then made a hot and sweet sauce that I will add to chili and different tomato sauces through the winter. I combined a few recipes and am happy with the flavour, but unsure that it will keep without pressure canning. I'm not ready to start pressure cooking this year, so I will keep my little tomato concoctions in the freezer to avoid giving anyone botulism.
Botulism would suck.
We have so far made 2 batches of dills, 2 batches of bread and butter pickles (my favorite) and a few jars of pickled beets and raspberry jam. I have another batch of pickles and a batch of relish soaking to be cooked and bottled tomorrow. I'm finding everything easier this year, with a helpful 4 year old and (mostly) potty trained 2 year old. Hope all is well where you are!






Lovely harvests. I don't much like peeling tomatoes either. Sometimes I put them in with the skins on, just cut in half, then I pick the skins out once the sauce has cooked. Pressure canning isn't something I'm familiar with, but it sounds like a useful way to preserve things. I shall investigate! I hope you guys have a good weekend. CJ xx
ReplyDeleteMy mom has a pressure cooker. It's a big heavy pot with a lid that gets locked on and a pressure gauge that different foods must reach different pressure, adjust for different elevation etc....although I've read many helpful how-to's I'm still intimidated by the process and have visions of blowing the scalding hot pot and contents (and myself and kids sky-high). I think what I need to do is help someone who has done a lot of canning before I attempt it myself. In the meantime I stick to pickling.
Delete