I was two days past my due date and had buns in the oven (literally). It was a new recipe I had found over at www.chiotsrun.com. My brother texted asking if I was having the baby that day; I replied, "not unless I fall down the stairs". Our first had been induced, a slow labour. Why would this one be different? I got the two year old down for a nap and removed some nice looking rolls from the oven. I went for a nap and my labour started. To make a short story shorter, Husband flew home from work to get us and we barely made it to the hospital in time. A 35 minute drive took under 20 that day, and felt like an eternity. Our baby boy was born less than an hour later.
Now, for the point of the story (and a look at the rolls).
![]() |
| These are not the rolls I made that day. |
Owen's Rolls
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
4 to 5 cups flour (1 cup whole wheat)
1/4 cup ground flax
2 Tbsp yeast
-In large bowl, mix 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1 cup white flour and yeast. In medium saucepan combine milk, sugar, butter and salt and heat til butter starts to melt (120-130F)*.
-Add milk mixture to dry mix, along with eggs. Mix til incorporated then beat on high with hand mixer 3 minutes.
-Mix in as much remaining flour as possible--once it's too thick for mixer, transfer to counter top and knead. Dough should be soft but not too sticky.
-Knead 4 to 5 minutes til dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into ball and place in oiled bowl, let rise 1 hr or until doubled in size.
-Turn dough onto counter and divide into desired size rolls. Place on greased sheets, cover and let rise til doubled (45 mins)
-Bake at 375F 12-15 minutes (rolls) or 15-17 minutes (hamburger buns) til golden on top.
*now that I've made these several times I microwave the milk first to bring it nearer the desired temp. (too impatient I guess!) I use my candy thermometre but if you don't have one, remove from heat when butter starts to melt.
Have you got a favorite bun recipe? Or have you got an interesting baking-related story?

No comments:
Post a Comment