Thursday, 21 August 2014

Busy, Busy



After a few weeks of intense heat and humidity, we are experiencing a cool off that has brought on a flurry of activity. I'm starting to recognize in myself an ebb and flow in energy that sometimes follows the weather, but also relates to how busy I've been. For example, after 3 mornings loading and hauling gravel in the driveway, I spent the next few mornings baking and cleaning and couldn't help but have a short nap in the afternoons. A dangerous routine to get into as I often have trouble sleeping at night!

So now that my attention has turned indoors (although there are several outdoor projects that await) I thought I'd show pictures of what we have been doing. 


Best blueberry muffins ever. 4 year old said "mommy you are the best cooker in the world besides gramma!"




My tomatoes are small but plentiful. I love making sauces but I detest peeling them. This morning I slow roasted my ripe tomatoes while I made buns then made a hot and sweet sauce that I will add to chili and different tomato sauces through the winter. I combined a few recipes and am happy with the flavour, but unsure that it will keep without pressure canning. I'm not ready to start pressure cooking this year, so I will keep my little tomato concoctions in the freezer to avoid giving anyone botulism. 


Botulism would suck. 

We have so far made 2 batches of dills, 2 batches of bread and butter pickles (my favorite) and a few jars of pickled beets and raspberry jam. I have another batch of pickles and a batch of relish soaking to be cooked and bottled tomorrow. I'm finding everything easier this year, with a helpful 4 year old and (mostly) potty trained 2 year old. Hope all is well where you are!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely harvests. I don't much like peeling tomatoes either. Sometimes I put them in with the skins on, just cut in half, then I pick the skins out once the sauce has cooked. Pressure canning isn't something I'm familiar with, but it sounds like a useful way to preserve things. I shall investigate! I hope you guys have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has a pressure cooker. It's a big heavy pot with a lid that gets locked on and a pressure gauge that different foods must reach different pressure, adjust for different elevation etc....although I've read many helpful how-to's I'm still intimidated by the process and have visions of blowing the scalding hot pot and contents (and myself and kids sky-high). I think what I need to do is help someone who has done a lot of canning before I attempt it myself. In the meantime I stick to pickling.

      Delete